Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Wedding Wednesday: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Today's post is one that I have been meaning to share for a while. One of the 'traditions' that I am excited to take part in is the old saying 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue'! The Knot has a cute little article on the meaning and background of the saying. 

Something New
This is an easy one and this is obviously my wedding dress as it is something new that will only ever be worn once! Nothing creative or fancy with this one.

Something Old, Borrowed, Blue
This is a fun one! My grammie has the most beautiful aquamarine ring... she has had it for a very long time (way before Meghan Markle made it 'chic') and I have always known I wanted to wear it on my wedding day. It's truly stunning and a show stopper. Normally, I like very simple, dainty pieces of jewelry, but I am fully making an exception for this stunner.

The story behind the ring is that my grandfather got this for my grammie as a Christmas gift one year. This was before they had tracking numbers in e-mails and cell phones. Christmas Day rolls around, and my Grandpa hadn't gotten the ring. All of a sudden, there is a knock on the door (on Christmas Day!!) and there is the ring being hand-delivered. Needless to say, my grammie was so surprised and it always makes for such a wonderful memory for her. 

My grandfather passed away in 2010 and this is a really special and meaningful way for me to keep him with me on my wedding day. My grammie is also my only living grandparent (she is almost 94) on both of our sides of family! I love that my fiancé and all of my friends call her grammie, too! I know my sister also plans to wear the ring on her wedding day and I love that!

I'll also be wearing her diamond studs that look like a flower! They are so beautiful and special. 

Something Blue
I have one more 'something blue' and that is a blue satin ribbon. It has my name and the date of my initiation into my sorority on it. When I was initiated back in 2008 (my freshman year of college), my big tied the ribbon around my waist under a white dress. You are only supposed to wear it once again: when you marry. I think that is how it goes. I am not sure if this was just a tradition for our chapter or Zeta Tau Alpha as a whole, or what, but I can't find any information on the internet about this one! I have kept my blue ribbon for the past 12 years and fully plan on wearing it around my waist under my wedding dress! 

2 comments:

Bianca B said...

I love this post! I am trying to figure out my own and have most figured out. New= dress; blue= my grandmother's diamond and sapphire ring; old= my mom's wedding earrings. Now I need something borrowed. I could do the ring for blue and old, or earrings for old and borrowed but really wanted something different from each. Any ides of what brides have used for borrowed?

Kristen said...

What a **stunning** ring! Major Diana vibes. xx

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure