Friday, July 23, 2021

Pupdate

australian cattle dog blue heeler

australian cattle dog blue heeler

australian cattle dog blue heeler

australian cattle dog blue heeler

I haven't done a Henry post in quite a bit! I love to update you all about Henry because I love him soooo much! But also, to remind you all to adopt a pup if you are able to! They are so rewarding and if you believe you are capable of caring for a pup, this is your sign to go for it!!! 

We have now had Henry for about 3.5 years, so we think he's like 5 and a half. I cannot believe it!!!!

A New 'Trick'
This is new within the last 6-months and I think it's the best thing EVER. Ever since we moved into our house, Henry would occasionally look out of the window from the house when we are driving away down the street. A lot of our windows go almost to the floor so Henry always has a great view and loves to look out. Recently, though, we accidentally taught him 'go look out the window'. So when we leave we tell him to go look out and he does. Seeing his little face from the window is the cutest thing ever and breaks my heart a little every time because he loves going places! It's so funny when Buddy is over and we are leaving them both and they are both peeking out watching us!  

Buddy
Buddy is my parent's dog. They got him in early May and at first, it was truly questionable if they would be friends. Henry is obsessed with my parents. He spends a ton of time with them and they watch him when we are out of town. I think Henry definitely felt protective and territorial of my parents when Buddy was new. I could also totally tell he was jealous, so we really tried to get Henry used to Buddy by lots of exposure and now they are great friends! Phew. We are going to the lake in a few weeks and I'm truly so excited to see Buddy enjoy the lake but also see Bean (my sister's dog) and Buddy and Henry all together!

My cousins had this toy at their house for their dog. Henry was at their house and started playing with it and seriously played with it on his own for a solid 20 minutes. I ordered it on the spot and I have never seen him love a toy so much. I've also never seen anything occupy him for so long. I also love that it is rubber so it is gentler to his teeth. 

Nylabones
We have stopped buying Henry nylabones and all of those hard chew toys. We have heard one too many stories of dogs breaking their teeth on them. So we have started to get softer items like the toy I mentioned above. He loves nylabones and we have not had any issues with him with them, but I'm just a worry wort and would rather be safe than sorry!

Fireworks and Thunder
So we learned early on that Henry does not like fireworks or thunder. We've had a lot of thunderstorms lately and I've been surprised that the thunder does not seem to bother him as much as it used to. He's still bothered by it, but oh my gosh, fireworks are on another level. We always stay at home with him during the 4th of July fireworks to make sure he is OK. Luckily, we can see the 4th of July fireworks from our living room windows so we didn't have to miss them. But for days after 4th of July, Henry would be really afraid/apprehensive to go outside once it got dark. He got over it eventually but I always feel so bad because he is just so so afraid! 

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure