Friday, August 19, 2022

Color of the Fall Season: Brown

Color of the Fall 2022 Season: Brown

For the upcoming season, I'm seeing a lot of things that are the same from many brands, most notably, and what feels most random is zebra print. I don't dislike zebra print, but I think it's best done in very small doses. I honestly think the trends right now are such a hodgepodge. I'm not a trend follower but because of my job, I see it all and it all just feels so... chaotic. 

I don't know, maybe that's just me. 

I've been seeing the puffy sleeves of the 80s, big gold jewelry of the 80s, a lot of 70s influence with flared pants, pointy collars, and geometric prints, a little bohemian/hippy 70s with the quilting and crochet, 90s slip dresses, and chunky soled shoes a la 90s. And, we are somehow still being pushed with the crazy amounts of fabric being used for dresses that have absolutely no shape. 

If you have been reading here for even a minute then you know I don't typically jump on a trend bandwagon and prefer to keep things classic. So it should come as no surprise to you that I'm not really down with any of the aforementioned things. Maybe some chunky gold jewelry... 

Ohhh, what I would do for some classics for a change. Over the past few years, I've noticed that even my favorite brands that typically skew more classic in style are getting trendier and trendier each season with fewer classic offerings. I miss a-line dresses, full skirts, preppy staples, etc. I will say, I do notice some cricket sweaters popping up and a few rugby striped items which make me think maybe someday soon we will get a bit of preppy style from brands. And look at Brooks Brother's fall/winter preview, it's AMAZING. SO it's not all bad, in my opinion!

Another thing that I have noticed is that if you want something super classic, it's incredibly pricey. It's as if Oscar de la Renta is the only one that makes elegant classics anymore! I specifically think this is an issue when it comes to cocktail dresses. There are very few options anymore under $300 that are classic and of decent quality. Anyway, champagne problems, that's for sure! 

I will say, though, that I have been seeing SO much brown already and this is actually something I'm really excited about. I love brown. 

I am not sure if you can call brown trendy. It's neutral and you can always find it year after year. But, I've noticed so many pieces available that are not typically available in brown and I'm here for it!

I thought I would do a roundup of some of the brown things that have caught my eye. I think brown is done best in tonal dressing but I also love it when paired with black or navy blue or crisp white. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so with you on the love for classics! I do occasionally fall prey to trendy things but for the most part I'll forever feel confident in (and want to wear) classic pieces. They just age so well, too! Not to mention, how impractical are the whole cutouts in every piece of clothing thing / crop tops? I'm always utterly baffled when my cute 17yo next door neighbor comes out in the winter wearing a cropped sweater with her bellybutton showing. HOW ARE YOU NOT FREEZING? Haha. I guess this is all just par for the course. Anyways, love these brown tones!! The vest, the sweater... I could easily wear all camel all fall. Dreamy! And those sunglasses!!!

Ann said...

Great post! I actually enjoy that my style/the classics are not trendy. Kind of like when you discover a new song or band and aren’t quite ready to share it with the world and hope people don’t catch on haha :) I admire those who are able to stay on top of trends and appreciate how fun it probably is to participate in them (and look back on photos in years to come)! It can be frustrating having to spend extra time and money searching for classic pieces but I think staying true to your personal style especially when it’s not ”in” at the moment portrays confidence and a strong sense of self. As with everything - “Good for her, not for me” :)

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure