Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lately



Another week is almost to an end and that's certainly a cause for celebration. This week as you all read, was my 30th birthday. My fiancé did his absolute best to make it great for me, and it was, but boy, having your birthday at home is not really desirable. I'm trying my darndest to stay as positive as possible, but after you have to cancel your rehearsal dinner, wedding, mini-moon, honeymoon, 30th birthday... it's hard to take much more!

I think what keeps me most positive, though, is looking forward to all of the things that I will do once this is all over. Even to just get my hair done or nails done will be such a luxury and I get giddy with excitement at the thought of it, ha! And oh gosh, I cannot wait to get back to Orange Theory! I don't know if it is just me, but the mental health boost that comes from Orange Theory just isn't as powerful with at-home workouts. What are some things you most look forward to after we are allowed to leave our houses again?!

I also find what has been helpful in keeping me sane is giving myself 'little luxuries'. Like opening a bottle of 'good' wine or champagne, having fresh sheets more often, showering with the 'good' products/soaps/etc, getting flowers and arranging them all over the house, spritzing some perfume, and so much more. They're actually things that I wouldn't normally think about otherwise, but right now, they make these long weeks seem more bearable! I try to change up whatever it is every few days so it doesn't begin to feel like Groundhog Day, you know?

Wearing: I think this has become one of my favorite cashmere sweaters EVER. It is so hard to find a tight crewneck and this one is just that. Plus, the cashmere is SO soft. The quality is just superb. I highly recommend. I've even been wearing it with sweatpants!

Eating: Remember the recipes I want to try from last week? Well, I made the salad and it was SO good. the perfect lunch! 

Drinking: So we ran out of Hendrick's gin which is what we use to make our martinis. We had a bottle of Botanist, which is great, but we prefer Hendrick's for our martinis. The liquor stores are all closed in PA. Because of that, everyone has been getting on their website and trying to order but the site is always down due to such high demand. We finally got through and I was so excited! You are only allowed to buy 6 bottles at a time (and that includes wine) so choose wisely, but we were able to get gin and it was on sale which was even better! So long story short, keep checking the website and eventually you'll be able to get an order in again! For our 6 bottles, we got 2 Hendrick's (since it was on sale), a Tito's, 2 Chandon's, and a Casamigos. The shipping is free! We ordered on the 11th and it is scheduled to arrive today, so it took about 5 days... I'm seeing martinis in our weekend plans! 

Reading: Have you all been reading a lot lately? That is one thing I have noticed that I haven't really done much of but I think I should start reading something good! Do you have any recommendations? I have The Alice Network that I started but only got a few pages into it a few months ago, so I think I'll restart that! 

Watching: All I've been doing lately is binge-watching 90 Day Fiancé Before the 90 Days as you all know. As a gag gift for my birthday, my fiancé got me a cameo from Caesar and Paul and Karine... all on the show. It was HILARIOUS. Caesar's was 10 minutes long and Paul and Karine's was 20 minutes!!! We had tears in our eyes from laughing so much. 

Wanting:
I have been hearing about this bronzing cream everywhere lately and I am so intrigued. It seems to be sold out everywhere but here! I just might order it because I think my bronzer is OK but it's not the best ever. 

Pittsburgh-ing: I'm teaming up with some Pittsburgh influencers for a giveaway that gives back to our local shops and one of you can win so stay tuned! 

Smelling: My parents got me this perfume and I just love it. I've been spraying it each day just for something nice! 

Quoting: 'When joy is a habit, love is a reflex.'  // See more of my favorites, here. 

4 comments:

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Happy birthday! IT looks like your fiance did a wonderful job to make it special. I am sure that it is difficult to be missing all of these momentous occasions, obviously your will not be able to have another 30th birthday, but all of your wedding events will go on and they are going to be wonderful! I hope that you continue to do nice things for yourself daily at this point they are what makes the days more bearable.

Deborah Bowers said...

Happy Birthday! Here a few book recommendations.
The Scentkeeper - very interesting ( it’s a Reese Witherspoon book club pick
Ghosted
The Wife Between Us
The last two have very unusual plot twists which I love!

Kate said...

I am glad your birthday went as well as it could during the quarantine (even with Little Tokyo being closed)! My birthday was yesterday and luckily I was able to get curbside Il Pizzaiolo and La Gourmandine.

I think it is okay to be disappointed during this time. So many facets of our lives are being put on hold. I feel it too. I know we don't know when everything is going to go back to normal, but I do know when it does all of these events that you are missing out on will be fantastic!

Hang in there!

Whitney said...

Oh my gosh, that is so crazy about liquor stores in PA. No wonder people are coming to Maryland and making HUGE purchases, they are soooo busy here. Not that alcohol is "necessary" but, certainly, with so many celebrations canceled for people, it is nice to be able to have some sort of treat to make the at home celebrations a bit more like they would be normally. Hope you had a great birthday, one you won't forget!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure