Friday, December 8, 2017

9 Essential Things I Packed For Paris

9 Essential Things I Packed For Paris
I need to preface this by saying that I am not a great packer. I always overpack. Always. However, I was really set on not going crazy when going to Paris because I knew it would be such a hassle if I had way too much stuff. 

I am actually really proud of the way I packed...in fact, I'd go as far as to say I actually under packed. By the end of the trip, I was wishing I had packed more socks, underwear, and sweaters. My luggage ended up being overweight on the way home, but going there, I fit everything in my suitcase comfortably and with a good amount of room to spare. We were there for 8 days, so I thought today I would share some of my absolute essentials that I packed. There were certain items I packed that were invaluable during the trip and then other items that weren't totally necessary but just overall made me happier that I took them. 

Overall, I went for comfort over fashion. I know it's Paris and one of the most fashionable cities in the world, but honestly, overall, I noticed most people were dressed very casually and wore very sensible shoes. Which honestly makes a lot of sense because if you're going to do a lot of walking, then you've got to be comfortable. 

I even noticed everyone was casual in some of the dressier restaurants we went to and even in the higher end stores. It was nice because I never felt underdressed, even in my sneakers. 

Portable Charger// So we are starting off not with clothes, but truly this was an invaluable thing that I brought with me everywhere. Because we used our phones so much in Paris (maps and the camera were key), they died really quickly. We all carried around portable chargers and we used them daily. This one is my absolute favorite because it's so slim, yet it charges up to 25+ hours and it has the cable to connect to your phone already attached, so there's no way you'd forget it. 

Cashmere Travel Wrap// I talk about this wrap constantly. It's one of my most-used items I've ever owned. I used this to cover up on the plane as I slept but also used it as a scarf while in Paris. It's so big and cozy and luxe. 

Camel Hair Coat// This coat is a major splurge, no doubt, but I just love it. I have had it for years and wear it often every single winter (similar less pricey version, here). This was the PERFECT Paris coat because it was elegant and beautiful, but also could be worn with casual outfits, too.  

Ivory Fur Collar Coat// This coat is absolutely stunning. I was hesitant about bringing such a light shade of coat but it held up wonderfully. I love it paired with cream for a monochromatic look but it also looked really great with all black, too. 

Ferragamo Aileen Bag// I have had this bag for a few years now and it is one of my absolute favorites. It's stunning, but what really sold me on the bag to bring along on my Paris trip is that it actually has a key and you can literally lock the bag. It really put me at ease on the metro! 

Gray Coat// I have had this coat for years and mentioned it here many times. It's one of my favorites. You'll notice I brought three coats. I did this very purposefully because I knew we would be in our coats for the majority of the time since we were constantly outside walking- even eating outdoors! So I didn't want to wear the same coat all week. I managed to fit three coats in my suitcase very comfortably. I'm so glad I made the decision to dress simply underneath and really let the coats be the piece de resistance. If I could do it again, I'd even try to pack a 4th coat! 

Black Cashmere Sweaters// I wore a lot of black on this trip just because it is easy to wear and doesn't show dirt or stains should I have spilled something. This black cashmere turtleneck is stunning and so soft. I wore it several times and even wore it on the red-eye to Paris. I also wore this black cashmere sweater. The neckline is so sweet and reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn. 

Velvet Sneakers// These were a LIFESAVER (and just $22). I'm so not one of those people that wear sneakers with nicer outfits, I typically reserve sneakers for athletic gear, but I cannot stress how important sneakers were on this trip. We walked everywhere and I would have been so miserable had I chosen other shoes. I got these because at $22 if I ruined them or never wore them again, they'd still be worth it. They are actually insanely comfortable. They have a cozy lining and a memory foam footbed. A real steal at $22. I also got these black velvet sneakers. They're pricier but also another pair I wore constantly. I liked that the black kind of blended in with my all black outfits and didn't really draw attention to the fact that I was wearing sneakers. 

Sunglasses// Well this is a 'duh', but first and foremost, I am proud of myself for only bringing one pair. I typically travel with at least 3. They're small enough, so I guess it's not really a big deal if you travel with several pairs, but I swear these are the best sunglasses I have ever owned. They are high quality but I feel like they just fit my face better than any other sunglasses I have ever worn. I also loved that they are Dior because we were in Paris, after all! If you are not looking to splurge, I definitely recommend checking out this pair of sunglasses. I actually got them for my sister for Christmas so when I got them, I tried them on (sorry, Callie, hahaha) and they are VERY similar to my Dior pair. The only thing I don't love is that they're overall larger. 

3 comments:

Lauren said...

That ivory coat is stunning!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

BlueLabelsBoutique said...

Great post! Paris is certainly on my list of places to visit.

https://www.bluelabelsboutique.com
https://www.fashionnotfear.com

Christy said...

I love the scarf. I do something similar with a scarf I own - it's cozy, useful for naps and sleeping on the plane and adds a little extra pizzazz to my outfits!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure