Friday, August 6, 2021

Orange Theory Fitness Review II



Shop the Outfit:
When I mention Orange Theory on Instagram stories, I always get a lot of DM's asking about my experience and if I like it or not. To start off, you can read my original post, here, which covers a lot of the basics like what Orange Theory is, the cost, why I started, etc. That's a good starting point before you start reading this one because that goes over a lot of the basics! 

For this post, I thought I would share answers to the most commonly asked questions that I get. This is in no way sponsored. I am a regular paying customer. I've been going to Orange Theory for 2 years now. I have never stopped going- even when they were closed due to the pandemic, I still kept up with their at-home program! 

This is a word-heavy post, so keep scrolling if you are interested! Thanks for sticking with me! 

Is the cost 'worth' it?
This is the most commonly asked question I get. I think there are few things that any person can objectively say are 'worth it'. To me, personally, investing in my health and making it a priority is totally worth the cost. If I had to, I'd personally rather eat out less, buy less clothing, etc. to afford Orange Theory. But I think this depends on your personal priorities. 

I mentioned this in my original post but I think that this is a really good workout for the money, especially if you don't want to shell out for a personal trainer. With the amount I pay ($160/month) and the amount I go (12-16ish times per month), it comes out to no more than $10ish per class which I find reasonable. You just have to go enough to make whatever you are paying worthwhile! They also have different packages- pricing and offers vary by the studio. 

Of course, buying a piece of equipment at home will be more affordable in the long run. I have a MYX fitness bike (similar to Peloton) and while I love it. However, there is nothing like being in a group fitness class with a live, in-person instructor.

Are you athletic? Can anyone do Orange Theory?
Athletic would not be a word I would use to describe myself. At one point in my life (high school/college) I would have said yes. But in reality, after I graduated from college, I never really participated in sports or anything like that. I was a cheerleader and swimmer all my life and did track and field (ran hurdles) and gymnastics, too. In college, I didn't participate in sports, however, I worked out pretty regularly. We had an incredible fitness facility that I used many times per week. I did tennis lessons for a bit a few years ago but it caused me shoulder pain so I stopped doing that even though I enjoyed it. I will occasionally golf/ go to the driving range and go on long walks with Henry, but there are no organized sports that I regularly participate in. I will say, I have always enjoyed working out/getting in a good sweat. Of course, there are days I don't want to go and all of that, but I really do enjoy it. 

I just had a baby, I'm out of shape, can I start out of shape?
YES!! This is probably the second most commonly asked question whenever I talk about OTF and it is mostly women who are looking to get back into it post-baby that ask me this. I get a LOT of these types of apprehensions (whether it is a baby or a sedentary job or just lack of access to a gym) and believe me when I say that I get it. You can start at ANY level of fitness. I started out of shape, too. You get faster/stronger/leaner quicker than you might think.

I truly think that most people can do Orange Theory. It's as hard as you want to make it. You can adjust everything to what you are able to do and the coaches give you modification and tips when they are demoing each move. If they tell you to do 20 squats and you can only do 5, that's fine. If your all-out pace is 3.5, great! 

There's no way to improve if you don't start somewhere. 

No one judges. No one. Everyone is just doing their best and it looks different for every single person in the class.

Also, it's worth noting that everyone is of different ages, genders, backgrounds, etc. There could be a 21-year-old athlete in your class training for a marathon or a 35-year-old who is 6 months pregnant and trying to get her steps in, or a 78-year-old cancer survivor trying to build some strength and stamina. Meanwhile, I'm a 31-year-old with no athletic talent whatsoever who hopes that working out will help her to live a longer, healthier life. Every single person is on a different level than the next and they are all there working towards their own personal goals and doing their best! 

How often do you go?
I feel my best when I go 3 days per week- usually MWF. I will add in a Tuesday or Thursday for 4 days a week pretty often, too, usually when I need it for my mental health. 

I personally think 3x is easy to work into my schedule and maintain. Four times a week is a bit more of a challenge as it takes a toll on my body. It's all about listening to my body. I'd rather go to class and take it easy than not go at all but at the same time, my body needs rest and I can feel when it does. 5 classes in one week wipe me out...my joints, I'm old!!!! My body cannot handle that much intense activity each week but at the same time, there are plenty of people who do go every day so it all depends on you. 

If I had some sort of fitness or weight loss goal (I don't), I'd go 4x a week each week for results in a shorter time period. 

I also think proximity to my house is key. I would not go as often if it was not as convenient. The location is literally perfect for me.

Are you tired of it?
Nope. I've been doing it for almost 2 years now and haven't once considered quitting. I totally get needing/wanting to change things up, but I also think if you quickly find yourself getting 'tired' of something that it might not be right for you and that's totally OK! One of the things that keep me coming back each day is the enjoyment I get... the vibe, the workout, the atmosphere, etc. It's not for everyone, but it works for me! 

I think the coaches make such a huge impact on the experience. Our studio has amazing coaches who are so nice and supportive and it is mind-blowing to me that they remember everyone's names! I think one of the reasons I was able to keep up with it even when OTF was shut down was that our coaches truly knew us and knew our names and they kept me motivated even when we were working out through Zoom. In fact, I found it to be comforting at times to see familiar faces on the screen from coaches to others who I recognized from in-person classes.

I also cannot believe how amazing our studio was through all of the shutdowns. They hosted Zoom classes which were literally free. They froze our memberships when everything was closed and offered the online classes to us at no cost (when they did not have to do that at all). 

Do you wear the heart rate monitor every class?
Yes! I love it and love seeing the results for each class. Plus you can compare your results from a previous class to a more recent one to see how you've improved. I actually forgot mine the other day and I felt sad I forgot it! 

It is truly CRAZY how much my heart has improved. To be able to visually see that is priceless, in my opinion. I could easily get into the red on the treadmill when I started. I now feel like I always have such a good balance of gray, blue, green, and orange. It's actually really hard for me to get myself into the red these days. 

Weight Loss?
I'm not doing this for weight loss. The only way I am able to successfully lose pounds is by watching what I eat. I also never thought I needed to lose weight (and never in my life has a doctor told me I was overweight or needed to lose weight) so weight loss is not the main priority for me. Even when I did my original InBody scan, my numbers were considered healthy for a woman my age/height/etc. and that was when I was out of shape.

There is nothing wrong with doing OTF for weight loss. I think that's a reason a lot of people join and go to the classes. It's just not a priority for me. 

I think over the past almost 2 years I have lost 3ish pounds. I haven't dieted or tried to lose weight at all. 

I personally think that weight is not a very good measure of your fitness level because I am SO much more fit than I was when I started. My body looks and performs very differently now vs 2019. What was a priority for me was to feel better and tone up. A photo of me in a bathing suit from when I started compared to now (which I'm not going to share, sorry, not my thing!) is really crazy. I would suggest taking photos if you want to see progress because my scale would tell you I haven't really made much progress but wow those photos speak a thousand words. My body is entirely recomposed. My stomach is flatter and more defined, my arms are more sculpted, my behind is lifted, my clothes fit looser, etc. The photos make my progress so clear- definitely more than a scale does! I would suggest taking photos of yourself in the same swimsuit every few weeks to track your progress.

OTF also has InBody scans which you can do. They are like a 'fancy' scale and I'm honestly not sure how accurate they are, but even so, they are enough that you can chart your progress. I've done several inBody scans. It tells you how much muscle you have gained and how much fat you have lost. It's a good marker if you are someone who likes to see results in numbers. 
What kind of shoes do you wear?
I wear and love Adidas Ultraboost, Nike Joyride Dual Run, and Nike Pegasus. I am really particular about shoes. I have a very high arch so I find a lot of shoes, in general, uncomfortable! 

Rank your stations in order from favorite to least!
Favorite to least: Floor, Rower, Tread.

What time do you go?
Always the morning. I've done noon classes and a 5:30pm class once and I found that I just feel a lot more motivated in the morning. Oddly enough, the earlier in the morning, the more motivated I seem to be. Saturday and Sunday are always my rest days.

What is your favorite class?
I prefer ESP because I like getting in a little bit of all 3. I don't mind power days on the tread, but because there is usually a lot of jumping and because I have bad knees, the floor and rower on power days are not my friend. If I had to pick just one, though, it would be strength because I love lifting and feel that is the most effective for me personally. 

2G or 3G?
So before the pandemic, we always did 2G and I had never done a 3G. When the pandemic hit, they closed, and then once they reopened, they ran all 3G's so we could socially distance. Actually, this past week was my first 2G since March 2020. I forgot how much I missed 2G! I love 2G because you get a lot more time lifting weights! 

Are you a power walker, jogger, or runner?
I'm all 3. I try to listen to my body so it differs from each class. I do like incline days and try to powerwalk a few times a month because I actually think it tones my backside better than running does and I'm personally more focused on building muscle than becoming a runner.

I am not a runner. I don't care to be a runner. I don't strive to run any races or anything like that. Orange Theory classes are the only time you will see me running. The reason I started OTF is that I hate running and these classes force me into it. So my goals on the treadmill are purely for my heart health and never to run a specific distance or time or anything like that. The fact that I do that kind of cardio at all is a win in my book!

Is there anything that bothers you about OFT?
My biggest gripe is when classes are 'full' meaning you can't sign up for them. I find this to be the case around 'theme weeks' like Hell Week when you need to go to a certain number of classes to qualify for the 'prize' or 'challenge'. I sign up a month in advance for my classes to make sure that I get the time that I want.  It's frustrating when the classes are full when I pay for unlimited classes. It's also frustrating that OTF is not great for someone who wants to 'last minute' pop into a class. Like let's say at 9 am one morning, I had a meeting cancelled and felt like working out at 10am, there is a high change that I would not likely be able to get into the 10am class that last minute. This doesn't happen too often, and has not happened recently at all, but it is something worth mentioning.

I get on the waitlist a lot even when I sign up far in advance but usually get into the class eventually so that hasn't really been an issue!


How Has It Changed Your Mental Health?
At this point in my life, my main reason for going to Orange Theory is for the mental health benefits. I'm typically a positive, upbeat person. I strive to see the glass half full and never go a day without feeling grateful. I choose happiness. 

I've always been an anxious person. For the most part, it has always been manageable and never interrupted my life. Honestly, throughout my life, my anxiousness probably 'helped' me as it presented itself as organization, preparedness, good work ethic, etc. But this past year, it started affecting me negatively.

It's hard to explain the feeling of anxiety if you have never experienced it. I always knew I was anxious, but I had never experienced true anxiety until this past year. There have been quite a few days in the past year where I was just not OK. This feeling was all very new to me this past year. Thankfully, my parents and my fiancĂ© were extremely supportive and as life has begun to feel much more 'normal' I, too, have begun to feel wholly like myself again and have not had a 'bad day' in a long while. 

Obviously, anxiety/stress is not good for you mentally or physically. Orange Theory doesn't completely solve it, but actually, it almost does, and I think that's what really keeps me coming back for more. It truly does make me a happier and better human being. I sleep better, I feel better, I feel more confident, I feel happier and more motivated. I would be in a far worse off place right now if it was not for Orange Theory this past year. I mean that in all sincerity.  

Orange Theory is not the secret to a happy, anxiety-free, perfect life. But I do think exercise overall can help SO MUCH. I live a darn good life and I definitely give credit to routine exercise for part of that 'goodness'. 

Not only that but getting to know your heart is eye-opening. I can quite literally 'make' my heart recover with breathing and I learned that from Orange Theory. Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. I see it illustrated when I am running and we have a recovery and I focus on my breathing. So now, when my anxiety flares, I know to focus on my breathing and it truly helps. Easier said than done, but it really works. 

What is your favorite part about Orange Theory?
I think this answer changes daily for me. First, though, the staff/coaches. They're all SO nice and always remember my name and make me feel welcome. You can tell they love their job and are always inspiring me to do my very best. The other thing that sticks out to me is how fortunate I am to be able to go to class several times a week. I'm young, I have working lungs, a good heart, strong legs- all things you might take for granted each day, but each time I go and feel my lungs, legs, and heart, it reminds me that not everyone is as lucky to be able to do such physical activity. It's also a reminder to be grateful because the classes aren't cheap and neither is anyone's time so it is a true privilege to be able to take the classes... This kind of thinking reminds me to work hard even when I'm 'tired'.

Do you stay for stretching?
I stay for stretching! I love stretching. I was a cheerleader/dancer/gymnast so stretching is ingrained in me. I sometimes follow their stretching routines but I often do my own thing. I notice that I am more flexible just from doing a few minutes of stretching at every class's end. I also have a Myx Fitness bike which is amazing and they have so many good stretching videos available. I do those on days I don't have OTF. This past year I was able to get myself doing splits and heel stretches again! 

1 comment:

Gina said...

I love OT as well - I agree with all that you said! Especially the part about no judging. I am old enough to be friends with your Mother ;) I have never felt judged about ability, clothing etc... For a "mature" non athletic person that is a major reason for going to OT instead of another program.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure