Friday, September 11, 2020

Cleaning Products I Use


Cleaning Products I Use
I love to clean. Not only do I love to be organized and neat, but I also truly love to scrub things and vacuum and all of that. Over the years, I have found a few items that I have in my cleaning arsenal that are used weekly that I thought I would share. Henry is a very messy pup and I am far too fastidious to let it go! 

I know I'm old when I get most excited about sharing cleaning items with you all, but I hope my fellow Danny Tanners out there will appreciate this post. 

My fiancé's aunt got us this as a wedding gift and we love it. To be honest, when I first got it, I was really unsure about it. We have the Shark Navigator vacuum and I've had it since 2016 and it has always worked SO well. So when I first started using it and it didn't really do anything crazy different than the Shark, I was a bit disappointed since I feel like Dyson is always talked up so well in reviews and even just by peers. 

After using it for a few months, I quickly realized how much I love it. It works very well (but honestly, it's really not much better than my Shark) but it's more the convenience of it all that makes me love it so much. 

If Henry rips open a toy, I can quickly grab the Dyson and clean it up. If we are having people over at the last minute, I can grab the Dyson and do a quick sweep of the main floor. It's amazing for cleaning out the car and hard-to-get spots. The fact that it quickly turns into a handheld wireless vacuum is just magic. I also just find myself vacuuming a bunch more because it is so convenient. Henry sheds SO much so the more I vacuum, the better. Even emptying the container is super easy. Plus it is SO lightweight so carrying it all over the house and up and down steps is so easy. 

I do, however, think you need a second vacuum, or at least I wouldn't want to rely only on the Dyson for our entire house. One, because the Dyson is cordless so it can die. I have had it die in the middle of vacuuming when I'm doing the entire house and then have to whip out the Shark to complete the job. It's rare because now I can work pretty quickly and have a good idea of how long it will last on a full charge. I also think that the Shark vacuum is a heavier duty vacuum so if you have a huge mess for some reason (again, rare), I would rather rely on the Shark than the Dyson. Dyson is a 'small job' vacuum and so after I accepted that, I was really pleased with it. 

The Dyson is expensive and this vacuum provides the same results, in my opinion. The only annoyance of this one is that it is much larger to store, it has a cord, and it's much heavier/bulkier so it is harder to get into smaller spots. But you could 100% rely on this vacuum as the only vacuum in your house. It's just really reliable and does a great job. 

My future mother-in-law got us this one for our shower. This one is similar to the Dyson in that at first, my fiancé and I didn't really understand what was so great about this vacuum. We just figured once we had this that we would never have to vacuum again, HA!!!! Our expectations were too high. Like the Dyson, I don't think this can be the only vacuum that you own. This is a great but unnecessary vacuum. I can run it while I'm working at my computer and it will definitely do a good job, but it doesn't get into corners or anything like that. It does, however, get under items that a normal vacuum might not fit under. I also like this because we can run it every other day (way more than the amount I do a full vacuum) and it helps with reducing all of Henry's hair everywhere. He sheds SO much. This is more for maintaining rather than doing a deep clean. But when you have a dog that sheds a ton, maintaining is enough. If you don't have a dog or an animal that sheds, I don't think this would be as much of a great thing for your household. 

Between all 3 vacuums, our house is about as spotless from Henry's hair as it will ever get. You definitely don't need 3 vacuums, but I do use all three every single week and love them each for their own different purposes. I'd probably rank them Dyson, Shark, Roomba. 

I've been using these since my aunt got my mom one for Christmas SO long ago. They're seriously the best sponges on the planet. They don't scratch anything and they are firm when put under cold water, but become very pliable when you put it under warm/hot water. They don't smell or get gross like a traditional sponge and I like the many color options so we can remember which sponge is for which purpose. 

Bona 
Our neighbors recommended this to us and you definitely want to make sure that whatever you use on your floors, that it works for your specific floors BEFORE you use it (or at least spot-check it first before doing your entire floor.) We have hardwood floors and when we first moved in, we were using a traditional mop and then just maintaining with a Swiffer in between mopping. This was OK but we felt like this wasn't ideal. Mopping is SUCH a pain and can get messy and the Swiffer worked fine but never really wowed me. We were over at our neighbors one night for dinner and I complimented them on how clean their floors were and that's when they told me about the Bona. 

It's set up like a Swiffer wet jet so you load in the Bona product, and then it sprays out onto the floor. The 'mop' head is a microfiber cloth (that you can reuse). It cleans our hardwood beautifully and doesn't streak.

I am like the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding but instead of Windex, it's Dawn dish soap. I use it to remove clothing stains, clean dishes/kitchen stuff, get out carpet stains, clean my makeup brushes, and so much more. You can even put it in the water of your Hydrangeas to keep them alive longer and remove the sticky residue left behind from Homegoods stickers. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love posts like this! I've ordered a lot of homecare products that you've recommended over the years and have always been pleased!

Ellen said...

I enjoy your blog but honestly the pale gray print is so hard to read—-wish it was a darker color that would be easier to read 😊

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure