Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Office Corner Makeover

World Market Brynn Swivel Chair

World Market Brynn Swivel Chair

World Market Brynn Swivel Chair

World Market Brynn Swivel Chair

World Market Brynn Swivel Chair

World Market Brynn Swivel Chair

I shared an evening photo of this office corner the other day on Instagram and was flooded with questions regarding the chair and lampshade. So, I figured it was about to time to update this blog post originally posted two years ago! 

I finished this little office corner in 2021. It was a long time coming! It is exactly what the room needed and really makes the space feel cozier and more complete. 

Plus, over the years, I've really enjoyed sitting there while chatting on the phone or doing things on my phone/computer. This Chair is insanely comfortable. I still can't believe the price as it is under $500 and pretty nicely made. Henry also approves! I think he loves that he can sit in the chair and rest his head on the armrest and see out of the window perfectly. 

iPhone photo I shared to Instagram stories the other evening

The entire little corner was inexpensive. I already had the Pleated Printed Shade on hand. I also had two of these ginger jar prints hanging above our couch in the basement and decided to bring one up. Originally,  It worked out perfectly on that wall, but then I ended up hanging the pair above my office desk and putting in another print from the talented Pauline De Roussy De Sales. I am enamored with her work. It's whimsical and playful, and I feel like she loves a lot of what I do: cocktails and dogs (you can't tell well, but my piece features dogs having martinis!!) I had the artwork matted in green because I like that it pulled out the green in the pillow! 

I bought the Chair and the Pillow. I have had this Matouk Throw for ages, and it works! 

My biggest update, though, would be the review of the chair. I still love it after over two years. I sit in it a decent amount, but this is outside of a high-traffic area. I turned one of the bedrooms in our home into my office, so really only my husband and I go in this space. I recommend this chair, especially for the price. It's great, classic, and the fabric is even better in person. The only thing I would caution you against is using it for children or in a high-traffic area since the fabric isn't performance fabric. If you spill wine/coffee or have markers or dirty hands on this, it's harder to clean than other fabrics. I've been able to keep mine nice, but I can tell you, if we had this in our living room, I doubt it would have held up as well!

This was the 'before' of the corner. I think Henry was confused at first because he didn't have a bed in the corner anymore. This red bed is unattractive, in my opinion, but I remember buying it in a panic late at night, right before I got Henry. It was at PetSmart, and it was the only one they had at the time. So it was his first bed and fit perfectly under my desk in my apartment. I can tell that he has an attachment to it, so we will never get rid of this ugly bed. It's currently what we use when we board him. I hope it provides him a sense of comfort and home.  

You can see in the mockup here when I was planning everything out that, I wanted to do a footrest. Seeing the chair in the corner, I don't think I will do a footrest; it would feel too crowded. I also didn't end up doing a little end table, but instead, this basket

Once I got the chair into my office, I realized how my current gray velvet parsons chair cover just didn't mesh with everything. So I ordered a bunch of fabric samples from Ballard Designs, and these were my top two favorites, but I actually ended up going with this blue linen which I think looks great and pulls out the blue in the pillow and ties the blues and greens all together! 

I don't plan on any updates to this space. I thought about doing grasscloth or beadboard (or both) but we likely won't be in this home for many more years, so I'm trying not to put too much effort into things I can't take with me! I'd love to add this rug to the space. It could use some texture but always get nervous ordering a rug sight unseen. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sydney,
Definitely the windowpane fabric it adds a little color and style to your overall design theme. I think your reading corner looks lovely and very cozy. I have a very comfortable chair and ottoman in my home office that both the dogs Pembroke Welch corgis and my husband also enjoy! Have you considered using the second ginger jar print in your kitchen? I love watching your furnishing projects come together. Have a great day!
Karen

Anonymous said...

Love the windowpane fabric. Adds a little interest to the space without overwhelming it. Would love to see a whole tour of your home office space, now that it feels completed. - KLV in PHL

jnwink said...

I have 2 westies how do you keep white furniture clean? I have navy blue cushions on my patio and t struggle with the dogs.
We are traveling to Nantucket in October looking forward to your post.
Take care
Nanette

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure