Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Lightened Up Pina Colada



Although we just had a bout of snow here in Pittsburgh (shocker!), we are headed towards warmer temperatures! With that in mind, I am always on the hunt for a fun summertime cocktail. I love a good pina colada, strawberry daiquiri, etc. but they are so high in sugar and calories so I usually have one or two each summer as a treat.

I love to make 'lighter' versions of some of my favorite drinks and I think I created a really good pina colada with fewer calories and less sugar than the traditional beverage. 
You'll need...
- Coconut Rum*
- Whole Foods Pineapple Passion Fruit sparkling mineral water 
- Lakewood Organic Coconut Blend 
- Juice of a half of a lime

*I used Big Spring Spirits Coconut rum which is made right here in Pennsylvania and it's higher in alcohol content than a typical rum, so this recipe is based on using this exact coconut rum! 

Instructions...
Pour 2 oz coconut rum, 1 oz organic coconut blend, and juice from half of a lime over ice in a cocktail shaker. 

Shake, shake, shake. 

Pour over ice in a pretty glass. 

Top off with the pineapple passion fruit sparkling water. 


I would garnish with pineapple to make it pretty, but didn't have any on hand when I was making this! Now, this is not a frozen drink and it's very light, it's not super creamy like a pina colada, so be prepared for those differences, but the actual flavor is pretty darn close to a pina colada! It's delicious! 

I also think this could be really good with tequila, too, for a sort of spin on a margarita!  

1 comment:

Emily G. said...

LOVE! I'm definitely going to try this. :) It sounds so good.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure