Monday, August 17, 2026

Simple Life Hacks for an Easier and More Efficient Life

Dress (on sale under $200)// Necklace// Sandals


Sweatshirt// Shorts// Tote (50% off)


I did a fun 'hacks'-style post a long time ago, and they were a hit, so I started writing down more 'hacks' that I do in case they are helpful or interesting! Do you have any to add?! Also, as you've probably guessed, these photos don't really have much to do with this list; they're just some recent snaps from my camera roll. 

- For years, before a trip, I would start a list of things I wanted to pack. That was great and helped me a lot. However, I now have a 'shell' list and build off it for the particular trip. It saves time because things like underwear are already on that 'shell' list, and I only have to add specific things pertinent to the trip.

- I keep a note in my phone broken down by grocery store, and if I think of something I need at that particular store, I add it under the label. That way, I can see which store I need to visit the most and prioritize it accordingly. I was recently without these lists when my iPhone was being serviced at the Apple store for a few hours, and I missed this a lot! 

- On my phone, I make sure to categorize my photos by albums. Not for every photo, but here’s an example: a Lake Pajamas sale is happening, and I want to post a photo of myself in the pajamas. I could either scroll through the thousands of photos on my phone looking for one, or I could go to the album titled ‘Lake’ and find one in two seconds. I have folders like this on my computer, too. Being digitally organized ahead of time saves me so much time in the long run. 

- I have many blog posts going at once. Sometimes I’m not in the mood to do the ‘Weekend Wish List’ or whatnot. Having multiple things going on at once gives me more freedom to work within my preferences and mood. This can be applied to many jobs! 

- If you want to make your butter spreadable, heat up a glass or bowl with warm water. Pour the water out and add the butter to the bowl. It softens quickly! 

- If I’m getting my groceries delivered (which I only really do with Walmart), I add items to my Walmart cart for a week or so before I’m ready to have them delivered. That way, I can ensure I have everything I need without forgetting anything. 

- I’ve talked about this many times before, but I keep a ‘gift bin,’ and inside there are many different gifts that can be wrapped and used as hostess, birthday, etc. gifts for friends and family. This way, I never have to run out to get something last minute, and I can buy small things, like candles, when I see them go on sale. 

- My guess is that you are not cleaning your dog’s bowls as often as you should. Having two sets of bowls lets you keep one out while the other is being cleaned/in the dishwasher. That way, your pup always has a clean bowl. 

- If you’ve ever been on a long flight and find yourself with nothing to watch, next time, save a show you’ve been wanting to see specifically for the flight there and back. For example, last summer when I went to Portugal, I saved The Summer I Turned Pretty’s newest season for my flights, so I had something to look forward to. I was tempted to watch it when it came out, but I was so glad to have held off. For my upcoming Italy trip, I have a notes section with a few shows I want to watch, and I'll download them as the trip gets closer! 

- Whenever we get gift cards, we tuck them into a drawer, and it's embarrassing to admit, but we always forget about them! So now, whenever we receive one, I add it to my 'Gift Card' note in my phone. So if we can't decide where to go for dinner, or if I'm about to place a Nordstrom order, I can check my gift card note to see if there is anything I can use. 

- I text myself from my computer to my phone with things I want to remember. For example, I saw a list of podcasts I wanted to remember, so I texted them to myself. Every so often, I scroll up to remind myself of things! 

- I have a large mirror in my office that gets so dusty and smudged. I have no idea why, but I swear it actually attracts the dust. It drives me nuts. It sits on the floor and leans against the wall, so I tucked a microfiber cloth and glass cleaner behind it, which lets me quickly clean the mirror without going downstairs for supplies. I apply that same concept with lint rollers. I hide them behind upholstered furniture, so I can grab them and clean up Henry's hair so quickly. It sounds silly, but it makes my life soooo much easier. 

- I can't take credit for this, as I saw it on Instagram years ago. Still, if you're hosting people at your home and stressed about everything being spotless and perfect (hello, that's me), you can take a bucket and walk around your house, putting items that are sitting out into it. You tuck away the bucket when people come over, and then you can put all of the things in the bucket back out where they were. Just looking around the room right now, I see my AirPods on the kitchen island, a wrapped birthday gift on a chair, a vase I need to put away, and more. 

- I keep a deep clean/declutter list on my phone with tasks I want to do but may not have time to do right at that second. Then, when I have downtime and want to be productive, I can review the list and take action. For example, I might clean all the interior windows in our house, wipe down baseboards, and clean out the junk drawers. 

- I take almost all of my jewelry off every night, and when I'm around the house, except for two bracelets and a necklace that stay on me at all times. It drives me nuts how dirty they get, so I keep a toothbrush and dish soap in the shower, and each time I shower, I clean the jewelry while it's on my body. 

- This is one I only just started implementing recently. I have a note in my phone with people's names, and under each name, a quick bulleted list of things they have mentioned that may help me pick out a meaningful gift for them in the future. For example, I overheard my aunt admiring my mom's earrings and asking about them. I have the same earrings as my mom, so I noted it and will give them to my aunt for the next holiday/birthday. I think this is particularly helpful with children's gifts because their preferences and interests change so rapidly! 

- Speaking of dish soap, I use Dawn and a scrub brush to clean our shower glass doors. I think it works better than any other bathroom cleaning product! 

- Another 'note' that I keep in my phone is a list of Pittsburgh things I want to try. Whenever I come across an ad for an event or a social media post about something intriguing, I add it to my list. That way, if my husband and I have a free night and can't think of what to do, we have a great list to spark our interest. For example, I know Pittsburgh Rib Fest is September 3rd-7th. 

You can find me on ShopMy, where I link all of my outfits, favorite finds, home decor, beauty, and more! I am constantly updating it with the latest! You can also follow me on the LTK app. Plus, you are able to access all of my posts, here, on my website! 

This content may contain affiliate links; when you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no cost to you).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure