Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Christmas Card Photo Options


You'll probably think I'm crazy for talking about Christmas when we are only a few days into autumn. Hear me out, though. I don't rush seasons, but I need to get my Christmas card squared away *now*, or it won't happen. I love nothing more than sending and receiving Christmas cards. I think the art of mailing something is so special, and I want to keep this holiday tradition alive. In a world so chronically online, I think it's more important than ever to preserve tactile things. For the past two years, I slacked off and didn't send any out... and it's all because I didn't do it in September! It bugs me to this day.  

I will say, sending out cards is so costly, so I do understand this is a big part of why this has fallen out of fashion. Not only are the cards costly, but the postage is, too. I haven't bought stamps in a long while, as I usually buy a large amount at a time that lasts me for months, if not a year or even two. Anyway, I had to look it up; a stamp costs 82 cents right now. Though, hot tip: a postcard is 65 cents, and I know many card companies now offer that as a design option! 

Besides cost, the biggest barrier for me is that I obviously want to include Henry in our photo. We have plenty of great photos of my husband and me, but we're not often out with Henry when I have my actual camera with me. So we have to schedule these photos so Henry is with us, I have my camera, and someone can take the photo (most likely my dad). 

We took photos in early August while we were at the lake. While there, we didn't get a good golden hour. I really wanted a golden hour glow in the photos!! They turned out fine, just not what I was hoping for.


So this weekend, we snapped another Christmas card photo, and I prefer this weekend's photos to the ones we snapped this summer. We still didn't get the lighting I was hoping for, and Henry isn't looking at the camera in the photo I like best, but I either have to go with this one, or there will be no Christmas card for a third year.  (some outtakes above). 

Sometimes I can be a perfectionist and get hung up on the smallest of details. This is one of those things where I could feel myself getting hung up, and had to remind myself 'done is better than perfect' in this case. 

Dogwood Hill just launched their Christmas cards. I love that they do it so early, so I can slowly take my time and pore over them. I thought I'd round up the ones I am loving and considering. They're the company that I have used, as they did our wedding suite, but I know there are many other amazing card companies out there, too. I think it just depends on your taste, budget, timing, etc. 

I think I'm leaning toward one in this roundup. Since we already have our photos done, it's easier for me to see what our photo looks best in, which is nice. Any guesses as to which one I will probably choose? 

You can find me on ShopMy, where I link all of my outfits, favorite finds, home decor, beauty, and more. I’m always updating it with my latest finds! You can also follow me on the LTK app and browse all of my posts here on my website.

This content may contain affiliate links; when you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no cost to you).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I love the picture of you guys walking Henry,. You make such a beautiful couple, you really should show your faces.
Throwing my two cents worth from Kennebunkport!
Patricia

Sydney Carver Snyder said...

Hi Patricia! Hope you are having a wonderful time in Kennebunkport!!! You are too sweet, thank you for your kind words! Definitely going to show our faces, the two photos in today’s post are just outtakes, not ones I am using for our card! ❤️

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure