Thursday, December 24, 2020

A Reflection and Most Popular Blog Posts of 2020


How many times have we heard the word 'unprecedented' this year? Gosh, I don't even want to know and I'd be fine if I never heard it again. In fact, I looked up some synonyms just for this post so I did not have to subject anyone to another use of the 'u' word! 

In an anomalous move, I am going to take the week after Christmas off from posting content here. I have been blogging for 11 years and have always made sure to keep the content coming during that week-long period between Christmas and the New Year. 

To be honest, I'm a little burnt out. I need a break to get inspired again. I'll be back on January 4th! I'm hoping I'll feel refreshed and ready to kick off 2021 on the right foot. In the meantime, you can find me on Instagram. With that said, if you are looking for some content during my absence, I'm linking some of the top blog posts according to my Google analytics. And then my mini-reflection below... 



















I wish I had some sort of eloquent reflection about this year. Something profound or inspirational that could tie things up into a nice little package with a bow on top. I haven't been able to find the words to accurately express how I have felt this year. To be quite cliché, this year has truly left me speechless. Maybe someday I will find those words, but it's not today. 

I can, however, express to every single one of you, my sincerest gratitude. You have stuck with me through a year that was unlike any other (see, still no 'u' word!!), and for that, I cannot thank you enough. The internet, as a whole, has been unforgiving this year, yet you all have been supportive, kind, and showed me a world that I hope everyone is able to see. There are so many wonderful people out there.

From the hundreds, if not thousands who sent me the most thoughtful words when I shared that we were postponing our wedding, to those of you who have share beautiful photos you find of blue and white decor or other things you think I'd like, those of you who chat about your favorite menu item at Taco Bell, those of you who share your love for Nancy Meyer's films with me, those of you who send me the cutest photos of your dogs, those of you who ask how my 94-year-old grammie is doing amidst the pandemic, those who trust me enough to ask for and value my advice and opinion, and those who send over incredibly kind messages about why you enjoy following me- your positivity, kindness, and thoughtfulness shine through. This year was tough, too tough in my opinion. The world can be harsh and unfair, but each and every one of you makes the world a better place.

Last year I wrote a post about things I was looking forward to in 2020. To be quite frank, my stomach churns when I read it. In fact, I've only read it once this year and I have not been able to revisit it since. I could feel the joy and excitement radiating from my words for all that 2020 was to be. So instead of looking back, I want to share some of the things I hope and pray for today, tomorrow, and further in the future.   

I hope and pray for good health for you, for me, for my family, your family, my friends, your friends... for everyone. 

I hope that we can all be a little kinder, more forgiving, and gentler to ourselves and our neighbors. 

I hope we can all always find something to be grateful for... even in the darkest moments. 

I hope we can all find peaceful and happy moments this holiday season and beyond. 

I hope that when you visit my little corner of the internet, you feel lighter and more positive than when you arrived. 

I (selfishly) hope that I am able to marry the love of my life with all of our loved ones present.

I hope that we all feel valued and loved and we all make others feel valued and loved. 

So, here is a picture of me with a gin martini in hand, sending you all a virtual cheers and the biggest hug imaginable. As Tiny Tim would say, 'God bless us, everyone.' Thank you, Merry Christmas. 

8 comments:

Annaliese said...

Merry Christmas Sydney!! I feel so similarly as you to parts of 2020. What a year! Enjoy your holidays. <3

xoxo A
www.southernbelleintraining.com

Sharon said...

Here's to better days!

d1miranda said...

Have a nice vacation week. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Sydney! I hope that all your dreams come true and that you and Andrew will be able to have your dream wedding in 2021.

I've been following you for over ten years now on and off but always keep coming back. Whenever I'm down I pop in on your blog and immediately feel better. You are the friend I wish I had: kind beyond words, caring, endlessy positiv and optimistic, always looking for the beauty in the world and the best in people. I can say for sure: The world needs more Sydneys!

Lots of Love from Switzerland
Katrin

Ann@Virginiarosa said...

I share you feelings. Here is to a happier 2021.

Anonymous said...

I love the message here 💖 Merry Christmas!

Jubilee said...

Enjoy the well-deserved R&R! Thankful for your "corner of the internet" as well! Cheers!

Whitney said...

I couldn't find any words to describe this year or even write any hope for next year, I couldn't face the disappointment. I appreciate your constant content and honesty this year, I am sure it was not easy. I got engaged last New Years Eve and everything since then has truly just been downhill. I can't imagine the pain you endured in having to reschedule everything, it is all I can think about. We booked a date for 2021, even though my inlaws criticized us for SUCH a long engagement (December 31, 2019 - October 2021 was apparently an eternity for them). Now, I don't even know if that will happen. I'm not going to postpone, I have already decided that and I just hold out some hope that I can make it something special. I hope you can do the same (or hopefully everyone can have the perfect wedding very soon, holding out some hope for that too).

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure